Essential Oil Cleaning Solutions
It may not be possible or cost effective to avoid all of these chemicals in your cleaning and personal care products, but there are many ways to reduce your family’s exposure to them. Using therapeutic-grade essential oils as a natural household cleaner is a safe, effective alternative to many store bought cleaning products. Some of the best essential oils for cleaning include cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, thyme, spruce, lemon, lemongrass, and grapefruit. Try some of these ideas for a powerful, natural clean:
- Add 1/4 cup white vinegar to a bucket of water.
- Add 5–10 drops lemon, pine, spruce, tea tree, or Purification essential oil.
Fighting dust mites:
- Dust mites don’t like eucalyptus for some reason and I’m glad my bedding is not mite-friendly.
- Add 25 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to each load of laundry for a refreshing aroma to humans only.
Kitchens and bathrooms:
- Mix into 1 quart water: 2 drops rosemary, 4 drops lemon, 3 drops eucalyptus, and 4 drops lavender.
- Shake well and put into a spray bottle. Shake again before using.
- Mix in 1 quart spray bottle: 1 cup White Vinegar, 10-15 drops of lemon essential Oil, water.
- Mix vinegar and water in spray bottle.
- Add essential oil.
- Shake and use.
- Use a drop or two of lemon essential oil on stains.
- Let stand and rub off with a clean cloth or throw into laundry cycle.
In the Dryer:
- Instead of using toxic and irritating softening sheets in the dryer, toss in a dampened washcloth with 10 drops of lavender, lemon, tea tree, bergamot, or other essential oils that you like added.
- While the oils will not reduce static cling, they will impart a lovely fragrance to the clothes.
Hot tubs and saunas:
- Use 3 drops per person of lavender, cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, thyme, lemon, or grapefruit to freshen the water.
- For saunas, add several drops rosemary, thyme, pine, or lavender to a spray bottle with water and spray surfaces. This water can also be used to splash onto hot sauna stones.
Young Living’s Most Popular Oils for Cleaning
- Lavender essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Pine essential oil
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Thieves® essential oil blend
- Purification™ essential oil blend