Absorbing all the information about essential oils can seem overwhelming. So I am starting a weekly series on a different essential oil each week.Â Even at a weekly pace, this series will take more than 2 years to complete!Â That is my point of this whole website. Nobody learns about everything overnight. One step at a time, experimenting with different oils which seem to fit you and your family’s needs, and you will soon find yourself very familiar with all those little bottles and what they are for.
Basil Essential Oil
Pretty much everybody knows that Basil Vitality is tasty for cooking with. Just remember, essential oils are highly concentrated, so donâ€™t go sprinkling it all over your chicken or it might blow your mouth away. One or 2 drops will work just fine.
The history of this oil shows Italian women used it to attract men, or maybe it was to declare their cooking expertise. Regardless, history shows usage even by highly esteemed herbalists, such as Hildegard of Bingen (1100â€™s)
So what do you do with it?
- Dilute half essential oil to half vegetable oil (olive or almond, not the Crisco stuff :P)
- Put it where the nasty thing is bugging you (literally if itâ€™s a bug bite), as well as at the temples (both sides of your head around the forehead area) and neck.
- Inhale it (smell it) directly out of the bottle.
- Diffuse it: Only cold-diffusers, please. Heat messes up essential oils. Young Living has several great diffusers available:
- Aria Ultrasonic Diffuser Item No. 4524 makes a mist Item No. 3503with a couple drops of any essential oil and water. Plus, it looks really cool with colored lights & you can hook it up to your tunes. Comes with two 5 ml bottles of oil: peppermint & tangerine.
- Dewdrop Diffuser Item No. 5330 Custom designed with up to four hours of continuous run diffusion, automatic shut-off, and ambient light control, Young Livingâ€™s Dewdrop Diffuser can transform any space into a spa-like atmosphere. This one comes in the starter kit too!
- Home Diffuser Item No. 4468 This diffuser is the most affordable, it uses ultrasonic stuff to make a mist from a few drops of essential oils and distilled water. As an extra bonus, when you buy this diffuser you also get 2 essential oils, Lavender and Citrus Fresh, in 4 ml bottle
â™¦ Take Bergamot Vitality as a dietary supplement. The only oils that are okie dokie to ingest all say “Vitality” after the oil name. To take internally, buy some vegetable gel capsules from your local Whole Foods or health-conscious food store. If you donâ€™t have one of those, Young Living comes to your rescue! Order Clear Vegetable Capsules, Item No. 3193 and you get 250 capsules.
Where else can you find Basil essential oil?
It is part of Aroma Siez, Clarity, and M-Grain essential oil blends.